In the 18th century the title of St. Nicola was transferred from the ancient church in Acupenco, now in ruins, to the church of St. Maria del Pianto, of which the original marble portal with the Marian inscription and the Addolorata by Lorenzo Torresani still remain visible today, even if this last one has been unfortunately compromised by a 19th century repainting.

The lacunar ceiling and the choirstall are an expression of that woodworking typical of the Apennine territory. An epigraph recently placed near the arch that connects to the area in front of the church, that where the bridge of St. Lucia was located before 1799, commemorates the journalist and patriot Margaret Fuller Ossoli, who lived in Rieti at the time of the Roman Republic in 1849.