The Oratory of San Pietro Martire was built by the Confraternity of Saint Pietro Martire in the first half of the 1300s, right next to the church of Saint Domenico. The building reached its peak between 1552 and 1554 when the Veronese brothers Lorenzo and Bartolomeo Torresani paintend here the famous fresco “The Last Judgment – Il Giudizio Universale”.
In 1574, during the Counter-Reform, the nudes of “The Last Judgment” ran the risk of being amended, as they were not very suitable for laypersons, but were saved because the oratory was used as a study room for the novitiate. From the eighteenth century the building suffered a progressive degradation being used over time as a warehouse, a granary, a tailoring, a quartering of troops and then again as a municipal warehouse.
Between 1907 and 1908 the frescoes were restored by Giuseppe Colarieti
Tosti. After the Second World War the oratory became the chapel of the Verdirosi Barracks.
Commissioned by the Confraternity of the Merchants by the Torresani Brothers, the Oratory preserves a splendid representation of “The Last Judgment”. The fresco is very big and runs along three walls of the Oratory, reaching the groin vault.