A magnificent building that dominates the southern view of the city, from the top of the rock on which the historic town center has been built: Palazzo Potenziani Fabri is the result of a sequence of building interventions, aimed at unifying existing buildings, as well as excellent restoration and maintenance works.
The original nucleus dates back to the 13th century and consisted of several separated buildings bearing traces of the restoration interventions required after the earthquake of November 30th, 1298. The decorative frescoes and the wooden lacunar ceiling of the ground floor room, date back to the Pasinelli family who lived here between the 13th and 15th centuries. In the 16th century the ownership of the buildings passed to the Fabri family.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the ownership was divided between various owners, among which the Potenzianis, a family of landowners, who used the building mainly as a site for their administrative offices and as a warehouse for food stocks.
Fallen into a progressive degradation, Palazzo Potenziani Fabri was owned by the family until 1979, when the Cassa di Risparmio di Rieti purchased it and started interventions of recovery.
Today Palazzo Potenziani Fabri is home to the Varrone Foundation which has promoted its reorganization and uses it for exhibitions and conferences, thanks to the installation of new equipped spaces.