In 1882 the wooden Teatro dei Condomini was closed to the public due to government regulations, so the need to build a new theatre arouse. This one was inaugurated on September 20, 1893, with the representation of Pietro Mascagni’s Cavalleria Rusticana and Gounod’s Faust.
The project was assigned to Achille Sfondrini, who had already worked for the realization of the Rome Opera House. The nineteenth-century theatre derives its name from the Sabina-born Emperor Flavio Vespasiano, in whose honor Giulio Rolland painted the splendid dome.
The style of the building follows the structure of classic Italian theatre: an audience divided into two sectors, three tiers and a gallery.