During the 1240’s the conventual complex of Saint Francis was built on the right bank of the Velino River. Near the church, in Romanesque style, there’s the sixteenth-century bell tower of the Oratory of Saint Bernardino da Siena, home of the Confraternity of the same name, which houses valuable frescoes by Panfilo Carnassali and Ascanio Manenti.
The portal, made up of two thin columns, includes a seventeenth-century fresco by Vincenzo Manenti, active in the church and convent of the Friars Minor that, after 1635, was interested by a reorganization due to the need to secure the buildings threatened by the frequent floods. The rose window is a remake of the first decades of the twentieth century, inspired by the canons of a late purism that intended to restore the original Romanesque layout.
The interior is divided into various and rich chapels, placed at the right and at the left of the church itslef, and the altars follow one another along the walls. Some paintings are noteworthy, including works by Vincenzo Manenti. Recent restoration works, strongly desired by the popular devotion that solemnly celebrates the religious festival of St. Antonio da Padova, have contributed to give back to devotees interesting fragments of the ancient wall decoration, indicating the stratification the church underwent in later periods, as a result of the frequent floods of the Velino river.